01 June 2008

Ages 3+

So, K. and I are not big fans of age ratings on toys. Bear in mind, we have never believed in providing E. with toy coin-shaped hot dog slices, but I have my doubts that a precocious almost-three-year-old is really going to eat a Barrel of Monkeys. At least not the whole thing. While I am watching.

Flippancy aside, our operating protocol has been "Know thy child." Couple that with "All things in their time" and "Children should be seen and heard by their parents or another competent human being at almost all times, but sometimes clandestinely so that children develop an ability to make choices on their own"....well, you pretty much have our parenting philosophy in a nutshell. Contrary to what some folks that we know believe, age ratings on toys are relative. To wit: I know a few 32-year-olds that should not be left alone with the aforementioned Barrel of Monkeys. I could also give you a whole earful on the efficacy of those other warnings that you see on various products (Caution: Coffee is hot. Knives are sharp.), but I'll spare you.

In any event, E's erstwhile daycare teacher, the lovely Miss C., presented E. with a wonderful bag of beads (rated 3+) in honor of her third birthday. I like to think of it as the ultimate 3+ moment. Except that, in this photograph, E. is still 2. Nonetheless, we have had a LOT of fun with this wonderful little gift. E. is feeling very grown up, and her fine motor skills are in evidence.

No comments: